The Magical Bridge Playground is open! A dream of many has finally become a reality. Before Magical Bridge Playground, there were 34 public parks in Palo Alto and not one was built with everyone’s unique physical and cognitive needs in mind. Most other playgrounds were similarly built and were not effective places to play for the various types of people living in the community. Now at Magical Bridge Playground, children and adults with autism, sensory and cognitive issues, visual limitations and physical limitations can all play.
Some of the features unique to the playground include:
- A 2-story fully wheelchair-accessible playhouse and small theater;
- A kid-friendly stage, complete with costumes to get imaginations going;
- A magical treewalk that takes visitors through the trees as never before;
- Retreat areas throughout the playground for children with autism that get over-stimulated by traditional park experiences;
- Socially inclusive playground zones, specifically designed to make the park easy to navigate;
- Interactive music experiences to excite all musical interests and abilities;
- A “Kindness Corner” to ensure that our kids know that bullying has no place here, and will serve as a powerful reminder to be kind to those around us.
To learn more about the benefits of music, swinging, spinning and sliding as well as the magic of tot play and pretend play see http://www.magicalbridge.org/#playground.
Visit this park and support this innovative project designed for people of all abilities to play! Magical Bridge Playground is within Mitchell Park, 600 East Meadow Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303.